Sunday, June 22, 2008

God is not an "add-on"

i spoke with a guy today at the altar following our church service. he was talking to me about his life and some frustrations he has had. i believe God laid it on my heart to tell him that he can't view God as an "add-on." God is not something we squeeze into our day. God needs to be intertwined into everything we do including:
(1) our work
(2) our relationships
(3) our hobbies
(4) our daily routines

while i was in Honduras last week, life seemed simple. so you like simple? i love it. my life often seems complicated and cluttered. i get frustrated because i have to fight so hard to make time to pull away from my schedule to get alone with God. is that because i am so busy? maybe. so what can i do? well, here is my plan:
(1) eliminate the noise if possible (all the stuff that blocks me from hearing God)
(2) live in every moment i am given and keep from looking ahead to the next task
(3) slow the pace (still working on this one and welcome your prayers

another thing God spoke to me about in Honduras was taking Amanda away for a vacation. she worked so hard while i was gone. she always works so hard and gives everything she has to support me and the ministry, to pour her life into the kids and to be so amazing. i am so proud of her and knew God wanted me to make her take a few days away to relax and get rest. not only did God put that on my heart, but He worked out all the details for us:
(1) He put it on several people's hearts in the church to help us with childcare
(2) He overstaffed camp with guy counselors so it was no big deal for me to back out
(3) He provided flights and lodging through my parents as a blessing
THANKS GOD!

I missed my kids and Amanda so much while I was away. it makes you appreciate what you have when you have to be separated from it for a period of time. i have the best family ever! i missed the smiles, the laughing and playing, the funny faces, the curious looks and most of all, the hugs and kisses.

great to be back in the USA! here is a short list of things i missed about our country:
(1) clean water (well, clean enough to drink)
(2) wireless internet
(3) being able to flush toilet paper
(4) ketchup and napkins being in abundance at fast food restaurants (you get one napkin in Honduras)
(5) water pressure!
(6) English
(7) safe drivers (yes, we actually have much safer roads)
(8) air conditioning


peace

1 comment:

JellyCat said...

still waiting for your next entry...........?????????!!!!!!!!!