Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Give up to Grow up

Am I the only one who has a hard time giving up the normal essentials of life when it's time to fast and pray? Last night I wanted to eat some crackers with my vegetable soup and Amanda told me to, "Be a man!"

I was trying to justify eating a few crackers. She was reminding that I committed to eat veggies and drink juice. Self control is one of the fruits of the Spirit that I need to work on daily.

Well, this is day 3 of our church's week long fast and last night was a great prayer service. I am excited to see what God is going to do in my life today and at the service tonight which is geared toward youth and families. I have made my list of items I am fasting and praying for. Some are personal things, and some are church things.

For me, I have to grow up in my faith even as a 28 year old. This often means giving up things that are not pushing me closer to God, even if they aren't sin. This week it is food. Maybe next week will be football (ouch!). Maybe it will be my cell phone for a time or my laptop, or video games, or music.

What is it for you? Are you willing to give something up to grow up in your relationship with God? If not, maybe that thing has too high of a priority in your life. If you don't learn to put it in its rightful place, then God may have to do it for you. Just a thought!

Small groups launch next week. I can't wait to be part of these. God has great things planned for each group and each students who attends.

See you in church!

No comments: